Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Juggling projects and having fun


Sonny's car pants


Mom's orange spring pants


Paola's pink floral pants

There are really too many projects and not enough time in the day to complete them all. Since the start of my full-time job with motherly duties in the evenings, it has left little time left for me to sew during the week. I crave sewing time all during the day, but once we're done reading bedtime stories I sometimes find it hard to get to the sewing machine. With that said, I'm pleased to find that I still love the process of gathering combinations of fabrics and coming up with things here and there.

I have been trying to get a handful of pajamas done for friends and family and finally finished them in the past month or so. My son has been asking and asking and asking "Mama, car pants? MY car pants?! so I finally had to make the time to finish them for him. I also finally finished a pair for my Mom and my friend, Paola. Both late birthday gifts, but arrived none-the-less. :) They were simple projects, but again...with little time, it was a challenge to get them completed.

As you've seen in the previous post, I have also been working on some quilted zipper purses. This is my new endeavor. I love piecing fabric together. I've done it with coasters , custom pillows, purses and totes, even changing mats (see below). I've always loved quilting, but the time it takes to devote towards an entire quilted blanket is too much for me, so the little quilted projects have been a nice way for me to enjoy the craft but not over-commit. I love how they've been turning out because you never really know the overall composition of the piece until it is complete. It's always a nice surprise.



quilted play and changing mat



simply fold in half, roll and tie.



all rolled up

Along with all the other fun and colorful ideas that have been swimming in my head, I've recently started working on these fun and useful playmat/changing pads. The idea came from Rachel of Speesees. She mentioned that many of her clients are coming in and requesting fun and snazzy changing mats, so this is what I've come up with so far. We're still in the testing phase and I have another version I'd like to attempt...so, as always, there will be more to come!

No comments: